My love of cycling and of my bikes mystifies many of my noncycling friends. They see my enthusiasm for bike commuting and travel as amazing/quirky/cute/crazy/difficult. I think it’s none of those things. I do think getting around by bike is more fun (usually) and more sound for body, mind and environment than travel by car.
I do own a car and use it when weather, distance, time constraints and hauling capacity make it the more practical way to go. I like my car, but I don’t love it.
Here are my top 5 reasons for loving my bike:
1. Biking makes me an active participant in my surroundings. Even when those surroundings are adverse, that connectedness is a good thing.
2. Biking can be either a solo or a social activity, or both at once.
3. I presently own 4 bikes. Added together, they cost far less to buy and operate than 1 car.
4. My bicycles keep me fit as a natural part of commuting, errand-running or travelling.
5. My bikes take up little space and don’t pollute.
6. I have to add one more. Bikes are elegant and aesthetically pleasing.
I could keep going – there are lots of reasons I love my bikes. What do you most love about bikes and bicycling?