———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Bike Maryland <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Subject: Baltimore County is Pedaling Forward – Please Help Keep this Momentum Headed in a Pro-bike Direction!
To: Nancy Seibel
If you live in Baltimore County, specifically in the 4th, 6th and 7th Districts, three minutes of your time can make Baltimore County a much better place to bike.
Click here to determine your district. Then go to the header “Who’s My Representative?” and the phone number and email address for your county council member will be listed. To support bike-ability and walk-ability in Baltimore County please call (preferable choice) or email your council member and state, “I live in your district and it is very important to me that you support livable communities and vote in favor of Bill 2-11″. The vote will take place this coming Monday, February 7th so please contact your council member this week.
More about Baltimore County Bill 2-11 – click here to view the bill:
- The bill will create a Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee.
- This legislation was introduced by David Marks (District 5) and Tom Quirk (District 1) to “re-balance the significance and role of streets and roads within the County’s communities so that they serve the needs of all transportation users.”
The bill includes:
- re-striping roads when being resurfaced or reconstructed
- creating a citizen group to work with county agencies
- adopting a complete streets policy
- developing sustainable transportation protocols
- preparing and maintaining a 6-year pedestrian and bike program that coincides with the Capital Improvement Program
- recommending amendments to the county code
- developing a bike parking policy for county government buildings
- incorporating new standards for road construction and reconstruction
Important – Not all Baltimore County Council Members are convinced that this pro-bike/walk bill is a good idea. Thus, your support is needed. Please take a few minutes to support bicycling/walking in Baltimore County by contacting your council member today. Thank you!
Annual Maryland Bicycle Symposium – Please Register
The Maryland Bicycle Symposium will take place Tuesday, February 22, 2011 from 8:30am to 4:00pm in Annapolis. Hosted by Bike Maryland, the Symposium brings together advocates, industry leaders, on and off-road recreational cyclists and commuters, elected officials and staff from MD, DE, DC, VA, PA and more.
Location: 11 Bladen Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
East Miller Office Building in the President’s Conference Center
You won’t want to miss this event! The purpose of the Symposium is to educate and empower advocates and attendees, identify common issues in our local communities, set priorities for improving the future of bicycling in Maryland, and demonstrate the economic impact of our state’s bicycling community.
Who should attend? If you are interested in seeing better bicycling in Maryland, this Symposium is for you! Attendees will include people with interests in job creation, tourism growth, transportation planning and design, mountain bike trails and land preservation, investments in bicycling, health and wellness, and the environment.
Bike Maryland, 1209 North Calvert Street . Baltimore, Maryland 21202, www.bikemd.org